Julie Hammerman, co-founder and managing partner of Thompson HD, helps her clients recover their losses. After more than a decade in Big Law, Julie founded Thompson HD to leverage her strengths: offering frank and informed legal advice, assisting her clients with evaluating costs versus benefits of all potential litigation strategies, and maximizing recoveries through negotiation and litigation.Contact Us
Insurance recovery. Julie is a Chambers-rated policyholder-side coverage attorney, with a focus in the real estate and hospitality industries. She has litigated cases involving all major first- and third-party lines of insurance, and zealously works with her clients to recover insurance dollars as quickly as possible. Litigation is all about leverage, and Julie is particularly skilled at identifying pressure points to get good results.
Construction law. Julie helps owners, contractors and consultants recover their losses when construction projects go awry. The path to recovery following construction loss can be as challenging as the project itself, depending on the type, timing, and extent of the damage and delay. Julie helps clients identify every potential source of insurance recovery—including builder’s risk, general liability, professional liability insurance, and performance bonds—and pursues insurance carriers who attempt to undervalue or deny the claim. When insurance isn’t the answer, or when it isn’t enough, Julie identifies alternative paths to recovery—through existing contracts or other legal remedies—and holds responsible parties to account.
Reps & Warranties Insurance. For private equity clients, she evaluates and negotiates representations and warranties (Reps & Warranty) insurance bids, prepares deal teams for underwriting calls, and shepherds underwriter follow-ups and policy negotiations through to closing. She has counseled a broad range of corporate and strategic buyers through the Reps & Warranty purchasing process, working closely with virtually every major broker and insurer in the market.
“Julie is an excellent lawyer. Her substantive knowledge in the area of insurance law is top notch. She understands her clients’ businesses and goals, and develops the appropriate strategies to achieve the best results. She is solution oriented, creative, pragmatic and responsive. Julie is the consummate professional and treats all parties and counsel with the utmost respect.“
5-Star Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School
- B.A., Brandeis University
- District of Columbia
- District Court for the District of Columbia
- District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Fourth Circuit Courts of Appeals
- Dickstein Shapiro (now Blank Rome)
- Reed Smith
Awards & Recognitions
- Chambers USA
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer
- Martindale-Hubbell, 5-Star Rating
Representative Speaking Engagements
- ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Conference, “Examinations Under Oath: Viewpoints and Tips for Insurers, Policyholders, and Their Counsel” (March 2023)
- D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center, “Risk Management & Insurance: What Small Businesses Should Know” (2017 – 2023)
- D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center, “Risk Management & Insurance: What Non-Profits Should Know” (2017 – 2023)
- ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Conference, “How to Negotiate Cutting-Edge Policies and Leverage Technology to Improve Your Game” (March 2018)