Julie Hammerman represents insurance policyholders—companies as well as individuals—in two ways: collaborating with them to anticipate and mitigate risks before problems arise, and helping them to recover insurance dollars through negotiation or litigation after damage is incurred.Contact Us
Before adversity strikes, Julie draws on her extensive familiarity with the details and nuances of practically every type of insurance to counsel clients on optimizing their existing insurance programs, obtaining appropriate policy renewals, and securing coverage tailored to their current circumstances and evolving needs. When things go bad, Julie guides clients in successfully pursuing insurance claims, from advising them on preparing and filing claims, to securing payments for losses and representing clients in negotiations, mediations and, when necessary, litigation, in disputes with insurance carriers.
Julie’s decade-plus experience includes all major lines of insurance, in both first-party property as well as third-party liability. As a litigator, her experience includes representing Fortune 500 companies in the oil, automotive, pulp and paper, and glass manufacturing industries, in mass torts and “bet-the-company” cases. Her institutional clients have included major banking and financial institutions, private equity funds, and post-secondary schools, advising and advocating for them in matters pertaining to the full spectrum of risks they face, including negotiating reps and warranties insurance for private equity transactions and strategic mergers. She also represents executives and other professionals in a wide variety of industries, and has recovered for clients under directors and officers, errors and omissions, and professional liability policies.
Julie graduated from University of Michigan Law School, where she served as an associate editor on the Michigan Journal of Gender & Law. While in law school, Julie interned with the Hon. Julie E. Carnes of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
Phone: (202) 536-7529
Prior Law Firms
- Reed Smith LLP
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, cum laude (2006)
- B.A., Brandeis University, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa (2001)
- District of Columbia; Maryland
- U.S. District Courts – District of Columbia
- U.S. Courts of Appeals – Fourth Circuit
Awards & Recognitions
- Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers: Washington DC “Rising Star” for Insurance Coverage (2016)
Representative Speaking Engagements
- D.C. Bar Pro Bono Project, “Risk Management & Insurance: What Small Businesses Should Know” (November 2017, 2018)
- D.C. Bar Pro Bono Project, “Risk Management & Insurance: What Non-Profits
Should Know” (December 2017, 2018)
- ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Conference, “How to Negotiate Cutting-Edge Policies and Leverage Technology to Improve Your Game” (March 2018)
- Reed Smith University, “2016 Insurance Challenges and Solutions: Focus on the Financial Industry” (August 2016)
- Risk Insurance and Management Society PERK Program: Virginia Chapter, “How to Show the Value of Your Risk Management Department During Corporate Transactions” (October 2015)