Thompson HD Successes & Key Victories
Discover the key victories led by Thompson HD partners:
- In 2020, 2021, and into early 2022, settled six different large claims, each for seven-figures
- In 2019, won a jury trial in the “rocket docket” (E.D.Va.) against Hartford for failure to pay under a Boiler & Machinery policy, with a seven-figure award for the full claim amount plus prejudgment interest; and then won a second trial phase for insurance bad faith damages.
- $6 million jury verdict against National Union Insurance Co. in a case where the excess insurer unreasonably failed to pay for a settlement of a covered claim (upheld on appeal)
- $28 million jury verdict against Lexington Insurance Co. in a case arising out of a refusal to pay for code work and business interruption caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma to a hotel in South Florida.
- $60 million court verdict against a group of excess insurers in a case arising out of a refusal to pay for property repairs and business interruption caused by Hurricane Katrina to two hotels in New Orleans.
- Multiple successful defense and settlements of lawsuit against hotel clients for various contract disputes, tort claims, and property damage disputes.
- Successfully settled dozens of large claims in Florida following the 2004 hurricane season (Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne), the 2005 season (Katrina, Wilma), and other major hurricanes and in Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina.
- Successfully settled some of the most significant losses arising from the September 11th attacks.
- Successful representations of clients closing multi-million dollar transactions with respect to “representations and warranties” insurance.
Thompson HD attorneys are also proud of their pro bono successes, such as:
- Representing individuals in need with insurance recovery for their homes destroyed by fire or hurricane
- Helping to secure the release of three Guantanamo detainees (never charged), including a detainee held for 15 years without charges and finally released after habeas and administrative hearing victories
- Helping a non-profit arts organization secure a 20-year lease extension for the DC city school building where the artists work
- Representing refugees and asylum seekers, including obtaining parole and asylum for a political asylum seeker and his family in a case that required trying matters of first impression
- Co-authoring a Fourth Circuit amicus brief in International Refugee Assistance Project v. Trump
- A trial victory in a custody dispute
- Successfully negotiating a settlement for 24 tenants in poor living conditions in DC