What We Do
Thompson HD Knows Property & Business Interruption Insurance
Thompson HD attorneys have extensive experience representing policyholders (against insurers) with property and business interruption insurance claims. We have represented owners or managers of manufacturing facilities, hotels, condominiums, apartments, hospitals, office buildings, retail stores, golf courses, and other properties. We understand every aspect of these claims: RCV measurement, code upgrades, lost revenue, continuing expenses, extra expenses, coverage extensions, and the many other details inherent in the pursuit of first-party property insurance recovery.
Our claims experience includes losses from:
- Hurricanes – We have worked on major hotel, building, and other commercial hurricane losses, going back to the 90s, including Katrina (2005), Sandy (2012), Matthew (2016), Irma (2017), Maria (2017), Florence 92018), and Michael (2018).
- Flood – We have worked on numerous flood claims, whether covered under first-party property policies, homeowners policies, or specialized flood policies.
- Mold & Pollution – We have handled claims involving mold or pollution, as covered under general programs or specialized policies.
- Fire & Explosion – We have helped our policyholder clients recover from fires and explosions, from manufacturing facilities to residential homes (including California wildfires).
- Earthquakes – We have handled earthquake claims in California and around the world.
- Construction/Collapse – We have handled all aspects of recovery involving construction defects and accidents (including water intrusion).
- Cyber – We have handled first and third-party claims arising from cyber and data breaches.
- Terrorism & Political Risk – We also have experience with specialized “political risk” coverages for companies operating in various parts of the world.
Who We Are
We are experienced trial lawyers, with a full range of experience at every step of the property/BI claim recovery process – claim consultation, negotiation, mediation, arbitration, ADR, and litigation – all the way through successful jury verdicts.
Records of First-Chair Success
- $28 million jury verdict against Lexington Insurance Co. in a case arising out of a refusal to pay for code work and business interruption caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma to a hotel in South Florida.
- $60 million court verdict against a group of excess insurers in a case arising out of a refusal to pay for property repairs and business interruption caused by Hurricane Katrina to two hotels in New Orleans.
- Successful trials for individual homeowners.
- Successfully settled dozens of large claims in Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina.
- Successfully settled dozens of large claims in Florida following the 2004 hurricane season (Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne), the 2005 season (Katrina, Wilma), and other major hurricanes.
- Successfully settled some of the most significant losses arising from the September 11th attacks.
Thompson HD bills at hourly rates, significantly lower than big firms, or under flexible fee arrangements.